Windows Embedded POSReady 7
community technology preview (CTP)
provides first look at optimized solution
for retail and hospitality industry
Toni McConnel 1/11/2011 2:17 PM EST
Microsoft has unveiled the community technology preview (CTP) for Windows Embedded POSReady 7. This latest offering from Microsoft’s point-of-service (POS) family is optimized for retail and hospitality solutions. POSReady 7 offers Windows 7 for in-store devices, enabling the move from transaction processing to cutting-edge, attractive POS devices.
Windows Embedded POSReady 7 is optimized for specialized devices in the retail and hospitality markets, enabling organizations to address a variety of industry-specific scenarios on a breadth of POS devices, including transactional and informational kiosk, self-service, vending, and others. Windows Embedded POSReady 7 is the successor to Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 and comes with an array of new features to ensure increased productivity and promote effective relationship-building, while meeting industry regulations for PCI compliance, deployment, security and management.
Windows Embedded POSReady 7’s new features available through today’s CTP announcement include:
- Support for Windows Touch multi-gesture touch interfaces to provide employees with intuitive graphics while maintaining a simple and fast approach to transaction processes – meaning a better overall experience for customers looking to speed through long checkout lines
- Internet Explorer 8 protected mode and phishing filter for increased security and Web connectivity
- Windows Media Player 12 for a seamless multimedia experience on POS devices
- AppLocker, a simple and flexible mechanism that allows administrators to specify exactly what is allowed to run on their POS devices
- BitLocker, BitLocker To Go and Encrypting File System (EFS) for increased encryption of internal hard disks, local folders, and external thumb drives and hard disks, giving IT administrators greater protection of highly important data from unauthorized users or external attackers
The Windows Embedded POSReady 7 CTP allows device manufacturers and retailers to begin working with the platform before it is released to manufacturing (RTM) later this year.
OEMs, ISVs, developers and retailers can download the Windows Embedded POSReady 7 CTP at www.windowsembedded.com/posready.